The Division of Music History and Culture offers a wide selection of courses including those required of all students to electives that range from Gregorian Chant to the Beatles, from sub-Saharan Africa to Stravinsky.... The core requirement is two full courses that include an introduction to Music in Western and non-Western cultures as well as a survey of music from the Middle Ages to the present day. Advanced courses include electives for all music students, some with a performance element in them, as well as those designed to probe in some depth the history of a particular period or genre and to introduce students to research in that area.
Students can major in music history and theory by choosing either a programme combining the two or a specialist programme in one or the other. The history and theory faculty - including musicologists, ethnomusicologists, theorists, and composers - is the largest of any music school in Canada.
Students also have the opportunity to take part in our many performing ensembles, including orchestras, wind ensembles, choirs and other vocal ensembles, early music groups, and a large variety of world music ensembles. The Faculty of Music plays host every year to a wide range of renowned artists and scholars through its various distinguished residency and visitor programmes, as well as in the Graduate Colloquia series.
- William Bowen, Associate Professor
- Caryl Clark, Associate Professor
- Robin Elliott, Professor, Jean Chalmers Chair in Canadian Music
- John Haines, Professor & Canada Research Chair, Assistant Professor, Divisional Coordinator
- Gregory Johnston, Associate Professor
- James Kippen, Professor
- Sherry Lee, Assistant Professor (Scarborough)
- Ken McLeod, Assistant Professor (Scarborough)
- Jeff Packman, Visiting Assistant Professor
- Joshua Pilzer, Assistant Professor
- Mary Ann Parker, Professor
- Annette Sanger, Lecturer (Scarborough)
Our distinguished alumni include:
Gregory G. Butler, Professor of Music, University of British Columbia
Eric Chafe, Victor and Gwendolyn Beinfield Professor of Music, Brandeis University
Beverley Diamond, Canada Research Chair in Traditional Music / Ethnomusicology, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Cliff Eisen, Associate editor, New Köchel Catalogue, King’s College London
Don McLean, Dean, Faculty of Music, University of Toronto